I chuckled that it sounded like lockers hadn't improved since I was in high school.
But then it hit me: is it possible that lockers really hadn't improved since I was in high school?
I asked my student what lockers look like nowadays and how you open them.
Along with her description she drew me a little illustration of the locker.
1. Twirl the dial half a dozen times to the right to clear the lock's brain and get it in the mood, then
2. Twist the dial to the right, stop on the first number.
3. Twist the dial to the left past the first number then stop on the second number.
4. Twist the dial to the right and stop on the third number.
5. Yank the handle up and pull open, unless you've been cursed with a moody or recalcitrant locker - as my student was on her maiden locker experience - in which case you must:
6. Yank the handle up and pull again.
7. Repeat numbers 5 and 6 several times, moan, then
8. repeat numbers 1 through 7 until the door finally gives and opens a little,