Saturday afternoon friends and family began arriving in town for Anusha and Randy's wedding.
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1 pinch cinnamon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons corn starch
About a cup or so of canned vanilla frosting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in cinnamon. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the shortening and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup of sugar and cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely.
- Microwave the frosting for 15 seconds, then drizzle over the top. Cut into bars.
I chose the pork chops, which were so moist, tender and flavorful that they left me wishing I knew the secret for making such divine chops. They were served over a bed of tasty onion straws. And speaking of tasty, the skin of my baked potato was seasoned, which was a really unique - and yummy - taste experience.
After dinner - and, of course, dessert - Mary Jane and Ken gave gifts to the bride and groom.