If nothing else, Do-over Prom could help fill the void.
But, say, do any of you have a fantasy job? A job that you don't seriously see yourself doing, but one that it's just fun to imagine yourself doing?
For example, my daughter Maria, who co-owns and manages with her husband Justin a Los Angeles commercial real estate management company, JRealty, says her fantasy job is to be a sound-mixer in a recording studio. My son Tommy, a program manager in pediatric cancer research at Nationwide Children's Hospital, has the fantasy job of playing guitar in a band (though I'm not sure this technically counts as a fantasy since he does sometimes play in our band at Peace Church). The fantasy job of my sister Romaine, a quality assurance engineer in the video computing field, is to be an artist/counselor located on the beach of a tropical island.
And me, a piano teacher, my fantasy job up until now has been that of a wedding designer for big gala weddings where money's no object.
But I think I've just switched fantasy jobs. I think my new fantasy job is Do-over Prom Planner with my own business, Do-Over Prom Productions Inc.
Over and above providing the standard services like venue, themed decorations, food and the DJ, here are a few of the options I would offer as part of my Do-over Prom Premium Package:
1. Producing and directing the do-over promposal*, all costumes, props and video included.
2. A Do-over Prom dating site. You could meet a person and have a date for Do-over at the same time. All your friends who came to Do-over could also weigh in on your date.
3. A nursery and play area where the kids can stay while you're at do-over prom. Each prom-goer would be provided with a baby monitor that they could keep checking all evening.
4. Prom Drama. This would be a performance-art activity that any of the do-over prom goers could participate in; it would involve the participants breaking into spontaneous little prom-themed dramas for the entertainment of all throughout the course of the evening. Among the available prom drama skit titles would be:
-"Meet Me In The Ladies' Room, B**ch."
-"Our Prom King Was A Queen."
- "She Twerked Her Way Into My Boyfriend's Heart."
- "Of Course She Dumped You, Dude, Your Promposal Sucked".
- "They Told Me The Punch Was Spiked So I Drank It And Acted All Slutty Then Found Out It Wasn't Spiked After All".
- "I Should Never Have Ordered The Olive Garden Marinara Sauce In This White Tux".
- "I Got The 'Had To Take My Friend's Sister To Prom' Blues." (That's what Z had when he had to take me to my prom. See May 16 post).
Most of the above drama titles are based on true prom events.
That's about all the Do-over Prom ideas I've come up with so far for my Do-over Prom package. Can you think of any other good ones? Or maybe ideas for your own fantasy job? 8)
*If you don't know what a promposal is, please see the May 15 post.
PS - I'm also on twitter now if you'd like to follow. 8)